Subject: Re: Bookmark Files

Re: Bookmark Files

From: Vincent Kargatis <lartis_at_ath.forthnet.gr>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:20:42 +0200

From: "Björn Stenberg" <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
> Why would we need auto-bookmarking?

Is it hard to understand? It keeps a very reasonable wish (to return
where you left off) very simply implemented (for a user). If 'resume'
as it stands is a good idea, how can 'multi-resume' not make sense?
Perhaps you don't personally care about rehearing files and concurrent
playlist use, but others do, and multi-resume is the simplest user
interface concept to help avoid that.

> If you want to resume at a bookmark, you have two options:
>
> 1) Play the bookmark file. This will ask you which of the bookmarks
you want to resume at.
> 2) Play the mp3 file as normal. Then choose Resume From Bookmark
(button or menu option) and you get the same question as above.
[...]
> I'm not sure I think playlist bookmarks is a good idea, but if we
absolutely do want it, it should simply be an option when you create a
bookmark: "Playlist or file bookmark?"
[...]
> This makes the bookmark feature simple, intuitive and actually working
like real bookmarks.

I disagree. Intuitive bookmarks (the old paper kind) work like this:
you pick up the book, and flip it open to the bookmark in two short,
single actions - no thought, no parsing. Autobookmarking mimics that
ease of use. You seem to be suggesting in its place (for playlists):
- independently creating a bookmark every time you want to STOP a
playlist (and return later).
- every time you want to start, going through a menu to recover the
bookmark.

That is many more steps than a bookmark auto-resume. I don't see how
multi-resume would interfere with bookmark management, either.

I personally will be very disappointed if a natural
multi-resume/auto-bookmark function is rejected, and replaced with a
clunky multi-step workaround.

Is it hard to appreciate why users might want to dabble in several
playlists concurrently over time? Is it hard to understand how people
might read several books concurrently?
--
Vincent Kargatis
np: Billy Bragg & Wilco - "California Stars"  (Mermaid Avenue)