Subject: 2nd ATA Device on JB20 Recorder

2nd ATA Device on JB20 Recorder

From: roland <for_spam_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 18:59:57 +0100

Hi !
Does anybody think, this (still fictional) hardware-mod is worth a try ? (also see attached pic)

I`d like to use my Jukebox as a backup device for compact flash cards (digicam).
Since CF cards are true IDE/ATA devices, perhaps this works. I already have some experience
with passive CF2IDE adapters. (booting Linux from that)

I`m also not shure, if could "see" 2nd. device from within rockbox without too much effort.
If there is a chance, that a master/save combination can be handled with existing
archos hardware, perhaps I will disassmble my JB and look onto PCD how HDD is being interfaced.

Yes - we need to add code there - but maybe this is not too difficult.
CF usually are formatted witch fat12 or fat16 - can existing fat32 driver code handle that, or do I
need addidtional driver code?
I read the isd300 manuals and I`m quite optimistic, at least ISD300 can handle 2 devices
-----snipp---
Master/Slave Selection
Bit (5)
Device number selection. This bit is valid only when "Skip ATA/ATAPI
Device Initialization" is active. Under ISD-300A control ("Skip
ATA/ATAPI Device Initialization = '0'), the value is ignored.
0 Drive 0 (master)
1 Drive 1 (slave)
---snipp----
But as i see - ISD300 is ONLY needed when interacing to usb!? So we don`t really need support for 2nd
device of ISD300 - since what we get would be just "another" USB CF Card reader - and they are cheap today
- anyway ;)

Please tell me, what you think regarding chances for success on that.
regards
Roland

PS:
Shure , that "hack" won`t fit into the original JB case - but I will build a new case around my JB soon, anyway.

rec_rear_bottom.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: rec_rear_bottom.jpg)