Subject: Re: Games on Studios?

Re: Games on Studios?

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:45:21 +0100

Ben wrote:
> This is probably a stupid question, but has anyone tried making games for
> non-Recorder players? It would seem like a really bad version of Snake
> could work.

Yes, games can be made. Someone made a simple maze game test program a long time ago. Search the archives.

The tricky thing is that we don't have pixel level access to the display, but instead have to redefine the only 8 available custom characters (4 on old players) and use them for graphics. This means we cannot fill the screen with graphics of our choice, but have to device clever ways to reuse these 8 characters to fill the 22 display slots. This is, I think, the primary reason so few games have yet been written for the player.

--
Björn