Subject: RE: Just an idea about the FM recorder...

RE: Just an idea about the FM recorder...

From: TP Diffenbach <tp_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 23:42:20 -0500

> so it would have to be real-time analysis
> somehow before it goes through the DAC. Is there a clever trick we can
use
> to do this?

I strongly suspect the 30 second buffer goes through MP3 compression, as
that way continuing the recording is just a matter of continuing to
compress, rather than compressing the new bits and then compressing the
buffer.

I suppose if you wanted to test this, you might suddenly pop the batteries
during that 30 seconds, plug into the USB, and check out any fragmentary
records written to disk.

Not that I plan to perform this test, mind you. I'd much prefer to start a
consumer letter writing campaign to Archos, trying to convince them it's to
their competitive advantage to help bring about a better GUI for their
product.