Subject: Re: CVS Patch merging ...

Re: CVS Patch merging ...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:05:14 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Fred wrote:

> So my question is : are you thinking of merging those very usefull patches
> and if so, when do you plan to ?

As can be seen on this list, we try to inform the patch authors on what
remaining problems we see in their code and then we prefer to have them do
the adjustments, rather than that the person who applies the patch will have
to adjust the code.

Many of the patches are quickly produced to show/prove a functionality, that
works only in some cases. We want the code to follow the guidelines and to be
reliably written to work even in odd conditions. It is far better to bounce
the patch back and forth a dozen times before we apply it than apply it first
and then face a dozen bug reports. IMHO.

Also, we're of course all victims of time shortage. Björn is having a heavier
work load than he had before and is thus less active on the patch applying
side now and Linus is even more held up with his personal life. We would all
appreciate if more people helped out on smoothing out the patches to make
them better and then tell us/the world about what you've found out and what
your opinion on the source code status is.

Of course, since we now have a feature freeze in preparation for 2.0, there
won't be any patches applied that add new functionality. They will be held
back to be applied after 2.0 has been released.