Subject: Re: current concerns with the status of rockbox... (aka things that must be looked at before 2.0)

Re: current concerns with the status of rockbox... (aka things that must be looked at before 2.0)

From: Sweth Chandramouli <rockbox_at_astaroth.sweth.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 17:15:12 -0500

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 08:39:03PM +0100, Björn Stenberg wrote:
> Eric Linenberg wrote:
> > with regards to Bjorn's new wps for the recorder, one problem I see
> > with it is the fact that it assumes you arrrange your music like:
> >
> > /artist/album/track
> >
> > if you don't do this (or ID3 tags), then you get some interesting output.
>
> Yes. Do you have a suggestion how we can improve this?
        If there were a way to say "first directory in path"
(maybe "%d-1"), then what about:

%s%?ia<%ia|%?d3<%d-1|%?d2<%d2|(root)>>

        ? That is to say, if the Artist tag is set, use it, else
if we have at least three levels of directories (in which case we aren't
using the "standard" /artist/album/track layout) then use the first
directory, or else use the parent directory. That wouldn't necessarily
help with layouts where the artist is present in the dir structure but
at a different level (e.g. /genre/artist/album/track), but I don't know
of any robust way to handle that layout by default; the above _would_
deal well with things like

/artist/multi-part-album/disc1of3/track

        , however, while not changing the behavior of "standard"
layouts at all.

        It would require a new WPS tag syntax for "directories from
start of path", but (I imagine, since I don't write C) that wouldn't be
too hard to implement.

        -- Sweth.

--
Sweth Chandramouli      Idiopathic Systems Consulting
svc_at_idiopathic.net      http://www.idiopathic.net/