Subject: Re: code style - my take

Re: code style - my take

From: roland <for_spam_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 13:26:44 +0100

> For example, we want to keep the simulators possible to compile and build
on
> as many platforms as possible, without forcing people to upgrade even
their
> native gcc (or whatever compiler they use).

as i`m working "cross platform" (i`m systems administrator) I really favor
this "mentality". I`m constantly getting annoyed about tools i download for
work - when compiling them MANY even fail to compile on popular platforms
which just "slightly" differ from the developer`s one (because the developer
usually didn`t keep portability in mind)

> Then again, the style we use is used to keep the code look similar all
over
> the Rockbox sources. It's a bit of a religion what kind of style that is
> best, so we don't discuss that now. We just ask contributors to use the
style
> we already have set to use in Rockbox. We don't ask anyone to like it or
join
> any religion.
Yes - huge projects need some type of order like this. It would be anarchy
without that - bringing a lot of secondary problems.
YOU (the guys who started the project) should keep hold of the right to
decide, how code should look like when going into rockbox - and YOU should
also decide what code being merged. (as Linus is(/was?) the "guru" who
deceides what goes into the next Linux-Kernel release, and what not)
Don`t underestimate the "managementfactor" - The more people being involved,
the more "management" and "clear direction" is being needed to continue a
project successfully. As we know too many cooks usually spoil the broth.

> Why rock the boat now? We've managed fine so far.
fine ? no ! VERY FINE !
:)

regards
Roland