Subject: Re: code style - my take

Re: code style - my take

From: Joaquim Carvalho <jdc_at_x64.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2003 14:10:43 +0000

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 08:09, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, TP Diffenbach wrote:
>
> > Of course, I don't know how well gcc supports C99. But adopting this the
> > C99 Standard might well make /de jure/ constructs that are laready /de
> > facto/ in Rockbox.
>
> C99 is very well adopted in recent GCC versions, but we don't want to require
> them. We want Rockbox to compile and build even with earlier versions. (Some
> of the C99 stuff was GCC extensions already before C99 was set.)
>
> Besides: code style, format, indentation, braces, variable names etc in
> Rockbox follow a general style. The style was set by Björn together with the
> original core people, and it has been followed by lots of people without
> problems. The style is somewhat documented in docs/CONTRIBUTING.

http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/contributing.html says nothing about //
comments not being allowed. I've been using // comments long before
I first heard of C++

// is good for comment lines
/* */ is good for commenting-out code
One or another can be used for either thing but doing it the "wrong"
way is harder on the eyes, brain and fingers.

Joaquim