Subject: RE: Using Digital in/out on Archos Recorder 20 ?

RE: Using Digital in/out on Archos Recorder 20 ?

From: Matthew P. OReilly <moreilly_at_moreilly.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:04:04 -0500

To the best of my knowledge, none of the Archos units have optical inputs or
outputs.

I think you may be confusing optical with S/PDIF... S/PDIF is the digital
interface most devices use, but it has several manifestations, including
RCA-style (the most common) and optical (nearly as common). The optical
interface actually uses a fiber-optic cable to transmit information via
lightwaves. The RCA cable is just like any other RCA cable, really - it
uses electrical signals to transmit the digital information.

My guess is that you have a 3.5mm stereo jack (which is the same concept as
RCA style), since it works with another device. (Unless for some reason the
fiberoptic cable actually "fits" into a standard 3.5mm jack...)

Some of the inputs and outputs on the original jukeboxes (Jukebox 6000 for
instance) were non-functional. I don't know if that extended to the digital
interface, but it might.

What model player/recorder do you have?

Matt