Subject: Re: What do you think of this?

Re: What do you think of this?

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:54:00 +0100

Chris Holt wrote:
> I know this is anecdotal, but this alleged patent of the game concept
> isn't borne out by the several asteroids clones for the Palm platform.

Just for fun, I did a net search for Asteroids clones:

http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/Maelstrom/
http://icarusindie.com/Dreamstars/
http://www.houseof3d.com/meteoroid/
http://www.briggsoft.com/squarry.htm
http://www.java4fun.com/classic/#asteroids (13 clones)
http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/games/arcade/asteroids/ (5 clones)
http://www.arcadepod.com/java/display.php?cat_id=51 (28 clones!)
http://gamingplace.proxad.net/download/arcade_asteroids_default.html

...the list goes on. And some of these are several years old.

As far as I understand it Atari has a trademark for the Asteroids game, which means nobody is allowed to sell a game with that name or close resemblance. I'm not sure trademarks apply at all on non-commercial hobby activities.

--
Björn