Subject: Re: Shuffle playlists (sometimes)

Re: Shuffle playlists (sometimes)

From: Brian Wolven <brian.wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:14:15 -0500

Johan Vromans wrote:
> The idea is to be able to run a playlist with different settings. For
> example:
>
> --- play1.cfg ---
> shuffle: on
> playlist: foo.m3u
>
> --- play2.cfg ---
> shuffle: off
> playlist: foo.m3u
>
> So although playlist isn't a config setting, this would be handy...

Playlists don't take up that much space, so wouldn't it be easy to make
two folders - one with playlists and their corresponding .cfg files in
shuffle mode, and one without, for example? Either way you have to have
two .cfg files. You could make one folder with "Car" settings as well,
one with "Home" settings, etc., to allow you to tweak the sound for that
environment. As it currently stands, if you had a single .cfg file in a
folder of playlists, that configuration file would be used for all
playlists executed from that folder, right? So you'd only need to have
one copy of a .cfg file for that particular "environment".

One other question - can you make playlists of .m3u files as well, to
avoid duplicating all the songs in a playlist for each folder - sort of
a pointer to a pointer approach? Then you could put the playlists in one
folder, and just reference that playlist from the "home", "car",
"shuffle", or "no-shuffle" folder to get the desired settings. I suppose
I should just try it and see if it works, but if someone already
knows...