Subject: playlists: directories randomly, linear within directories

playlists: directories randomly, linear within directories

From: Nix <nix_at_esperi.demon.co.uk>
Date: 15 Mar 2003 14:05:57 +0000

I have a pile of classical music structured into directories (in
the conventional manner). I'd like to play these by having the names
of the directories in a playlist, playing that in shuffle mode, and
playing the directories within the playlist linearly.

Now as far as I can see this falls at the first hurdle, because while
you can shuffle playlists, you can't have directory names in playlists,
as the play-directory scheme actually invokes the playlist code, and
there can be only one playlist at once because the playlist is (*ugh*) a
global variable.

Since that (`recursive playlists'?) doesn't work it's unsurprising that
there's no way to play a sub-playlist linearly within a shuffled
super-playlist.

Anyway, if I haven't missed a simpler way to do this, I'll go off and
implement sub-playlists and such. Of course the playlist will have
to move to being stored on the stack in play_list(); does this count
as dynamic memory allocation? I fear it does :( but if someone really
wants to play a directory under which ten thousand other directories
hide, it's their own damned fault. :)

--
#ifdef USE_ISPTS_FLAG
		} else {	/* else pty, not pts */