Subject: RE: another 8MB upgrade success story

RE: another 8MB upgrade success story

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer_at_gci.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:04:31 -0900

Jerry Van Baren replies to
> At 03:40 PM 3/21/2003 -0500, jdc_at_x64.com wrote:

>>> Yes, but using your suggested approach we would need to
>>> reboot in order to use new config values. I'd hate
>>> something like that. Would be like Windows. I would
>>> vote against such a system introduced in Rockbox.
>>
>> As it is now you have to re-compile, enter USB mode, upload the
>> software and finally reboot!

> As it will always be, you will have to disassemble your AJB,
> unsolder memory chips, solder on new memory chips, reassemble
> your AJB. At that point, you will be able to turn on your AJB,
> enter USB mode, upload the software, and finally reboot! Saving
> the recompililation step is 1% of the job.

Until the day when Archos introduces a model with a different
memory configuration. Sure we can save all this discussion for
that day, but as it seems to come up time and again, and we
have (apparantly) the drivers (hah!) to do it, why not just bite
the bullet and loudly proclaim that it's done and we don't have
to worry about "future-proofing" ??

  • application/x-pkcs7-signature attachment: smime.p7s