Subject: Re: ripping rate?

Re: ripping rate?

From: moncherou <moncherou_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:43:15 -0800 (PST)

It all depends on what you want, for my preference I use LAME ver 3.92 using its alt-preset-standard setup . The algorithm utilizes variable bit rate & joint stereo encoding and usually makes mp3 files between 180-230kbps - average -the actual file will, at times, vary between 128-320kbps depending on the complexity of the source. to most people (99%) it's transparent to the original - the other 1% still think it sounds quite good for what it is. Use it and enjoy. For a bare minimum (constant bit rate) I would use 160kbps with joint stereo enabled. 128 is not quite good enough for my ears, and the ears of many others. Harddrives are always getting bigger and cheaper,,,,
 Cap Hamilton <puccino55_at_msn.com> wrote:Also, forgot to say, I originally ripped all my files at 128 kbs. What's the
consensus, if any, on what rate to best rip a file? --C