dev builds
themes manual
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
dev guide

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: ripping rate?

Re: ripping rate?

From: moncherou <>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:43:15 -0800 (PST)

It all depends on what you want, for my preference I use LAME ver 3.92 using its alt-preset-standard setup . The algorithm utilizes variable bit rate & joint stereo encoding and usually makes mp3 files between 180-230kbps - average -the actual file will, at times, vary between 128-320kbps depending on the complexity of the source. to most people (99%) it's transparent to the original - the other 1% still think it sounds quite good for what it is. Use it and enjoy. For a bare minimum (constant bit rate) I would use 160kbps with joint stereo enabled. 128 is not quite good enough for my ears, and the ears of many others. Harddrives are always getting bigger and cheaper,,,,
 Cap Hamilton <> wrote:Also, forgot to say, I originally ripped all my files at 128 kbs. What's the
consensus, if any, on what rate to best rip a file? --C
----- Original Message -----
From: "Magnus Holmgren"
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 2:33 AM
Subject: Re: volume leveling or normalizing

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Cap Hamilton wrote:
> > I know this not rockbox related but I'm having a frustrating time
> > getting all my tunes at approximately one volume level. I've used the
> > built-in feature in MusicMatch and have also tried a freeware program
> > call MP3Gain, but with no luck. Any suggestions?
> MP3Gain works quite well in my experience. Perhaps you could explain why
> you had no luck with it?
> --
> Magnus Holmgren

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop!
Received on 2003-03-28

Page template was last modified "Tue Sep 7 00:00:02 2021" The Rockbox Crew -- Privacy Policy