Subject: Re: Archos sending out refurbished units as new?

Re: Archos sending out refurbished units as new?

From: Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:51:34 -0500

I had those deleted files on my unit too. Not likely that the same person
used & returned both of our units :-). I'm guessing the factory story is
accurate.

gvb

At 11:14 AM 3/31/2003 -0500, jrybacek_at_wellsmanufacturing.com wrote:
>I'm on my second Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 from Circuit City. The first
>unit had a bad set of batteries. I hadn't gotten a chance to install
>Rockbox on it, but I did get a chance to use Directory Snoop 4.0 to see
>what was on there. All I saw was a clean drive with the random 5 cruddy
>MP3s that they send with it. I exchanged that unit for a new one. This
>unit displays 15 different CDs in Directory Snoop 4.0, I can recover them
>too! They have dates of 10/11/2001 - 10/14/2001 on them. Artists include
>Enya, BB King, Eric Clapton, Kid Rock. These aren't your usual demo CDs.
>
>I called tech support and they said sometimes the manufacturer in China
>likes adding MP3s to the units to test them out, but he assured me that
>this unit was new due to the serial number. What do I do? Should I care?
>I feel like I bought something used and paid the price as if it was new.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Joe Rybacek
>
>BTW: RockBox is GREAT! Thank you everyone for taking the time to create
>it.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may
be legally privileged or otherwise exempt from disclosure under
applicable law. This e-mail and its files are intended solely for
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and their content
is the property of Smiths Aerospace. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication.
If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the e-mail
administrator at postmaster_at_si.com and then delete this e-mail, its
files and any copies.

This footnote also confirms that this e-mail message has been scanned
for the presence of known computer viruses.