Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Doom summary

Doom summary

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 09:18:19 +0200 (CEST)

Hi

Let me mention some details on the Doom issue:

o It really is a joke, seriously. Linus and I thought it out, Björn and Kjell
  brought their feedback. I did the coding and graphics manipulations needed.

o The screenshot of the simulator and the top photo were made by converting
  an actual doom logo screen to the correct size and bit depth, converting
  it to Rockbox format and then making the firmware show it. So they're not
  100% fakes, they actually did show those screens, but they couldn't do much
  else.

o The .ajz files available also have that image in the background behind the
  splash that says you've been fooled.

o The last photo was modified to get a fake Doom image inserted (using 8
  greyscales!), and then I applied a little motion blur to make it look
  just like like a bad photo.

o I added the text with the weird caps (as Kjell already pointed out) saying
  APRILFOOL.

o The date April 1st is mentioned twice.

o The source code package was provided to make the page look more real, as if
  we'd truly done this, we would've provided source code... As you who
  downloaded have seen, it contains nothing but text files saying you've been
  fooled, and a huge file with random bytes to make the full package get a
  size that looks like it would be the source code.

Thanks everyone for your imaginative comments, bug reports and public
feedbacks that added to the Doom atmosphere! :-)