Subject: Re: For a patch, what file name format do you use?

Re: For a patch, what file name format do you use?

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 08:57:57 +0100 (BST)

Mine are organised in directories. I have a directory called /mp3/ in
the root directory, and all my playlists are also in the root directory.
That way, apart from /mp3 and a couple of other directories like
/.rockbox and one called /stuff that I dump other files (backups etc)
into, all the entries at the top level are playlists. Under the mp3
directory, there are artist directories, and under that is the album
directories for the artist. In there are the tracks for the album, with
just trackname.mp3 as the filename, as derived from freedb, including
capital letters and spaces, but stripped of some characters like #'/&
etc.

So a typical music file name would be /mp3/Fleetwood Mac/Rumours/Dont
Stop.mp3

The playlist file for that album would be /Fleetwood Mac-Rumours.m3u

All playlist entries use "relative" filenames (i.e. no leading "/" in
the name, so the playlist entry for the above music file would be
mp3/Fleetwood Mac/Rumours/Dont Stop.mp3. This allows me to access the
files from anywhere, and copy them around to other locations (including
CD), and they always work. I have windows and Linux at home, as well as
Rockbox, and any music player on any machine can access music files on
any other machine, regardless of location, and the playlist will work
correctly.

This makes it easy to organise files, without having huge directories
(apart from the one with the playlists in!), and also enables me to
replicate and share files around the network.

I don't insert track numbers as it makes no sense to me. I use playlists
to organise tracks into a specific order. Most playlists correspond to
the original album, but I also have many home-made compilations where
the track number would be incorrect.

--
Mike Holden