Subject: Delay when ff/rew

Delay when ff/rew

From: Brian Rodgers <bkrodgers_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 00:14:35 -0600

I've noticed that both 1.4 and the current daily builds are much slower than
the Archos firmware when it comes to switching tracks with ff/rew. Rockbox
takes about 3 seconds to respond at all (it doesn't even update the track
title on the display to show you that you actually hit the button). The
Archos firmware is better in several ways on this one...first, it stops
playing the current song as soon as you hit the ff or rew button, so you
know that you hit the button and that it's started the process. Second, it
updates the display with the new song fairly instantly. Finally, the actual
process of starting up the new song is much faster usually 1 second or less.

Can Rockbox be fixed so that it at least performs as well as the Archos
firmware on this? I LOVE rockbox, much more than the Archos firmware, but
this is irritating enough that I may go back...

While you're at it, it'd be great if something could be done to skip through
multiple entries on the playlist. Currently, if I want to get from song A
to song D, it's very sluggish to do this (particularly since the display
isn't updated quickly enough to let you see what you're skipping
through).

If I'm missing something and there's a way to fix this, let me know. I've
got the Recorder, and I set disk spindown to 10 seconds (tried 15, too), and
disk powerdown is off.

Thanks!
-Brian