Subject: Re: Random numbers et al

Re: Random numbers et al

From: Vladimir Pantelic <pan_at_nt.tu-darmstadt.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:42:12 +0200

> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Blue Chip wrote:

>Yes, again, this is a kickback of having to be anal about writing efficient
>code. The philosophy I have been forced to work with in the past can be
>summed up by the UK expression "count the pennies and the pounds will take
>care of themselves."

I do not agree. Look what happens in the DSP world, nobody uses assembler for
the DSP anymore except in some special cases (95% of the CPU usage is probably in
5% of the code, the only worth optimizing). The code is all written in C because
the compilers are *good* and the next DSP is only 3 month away. You do not want to
rewrite your assembler stuff all the time. Before spending 6 month to optimize your
code, you can wait 3 month for the more powerfull DSP.

One of my students once tried to optimize a loop in assembler, GCC beat him by one
assembler command :-)

Regards,

Vladimir