Subject: Re: Resume

Re: Resume

From: Michael O'Quinn <michael_at_oquinn.info>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 23:34:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Björn Stenberg wrote:

> Alexandre FLAMENT wrote:
> > When
> > - I stop playback in a middle of a song
> > - Switch off rockbox
> > - Switch on again
> > the rockbox continues to play song even if rockbox wasn't playing before
> > switch off.
> > Is it normal ?
>
> Yes, this is the intended behaviour.
>
> Previously, we cleared resume when you stopped playback. But many people
> complained that pushing OFF or STOP for slightly too short time when
> turning off the unit would make you lose the resume. So I changed it to
> always (ask about) resume at last point of playback, even if you stopped
> it before turning off.
>
> If you feel this is annoying, consider using the "ask" resume setting.

Well, I can understand that. Would you consider making this another
option on the resume menu? I never have a problem not holding the switch
long enough, but it's anoying to have to deal with this fairly regularly.

Setting it to ask wouldn't really help. For me the whole point of resume
is that if music is playing when I turn it off, then I want music to
automatically restart playing when I turn it back on. If music is NOT
playing when I turn it off (or it turns itself off) I do NOT want it to
automatically start playing some fragment of music the next time I turn it
on.

Actually, thinking about this, clearing resume when playback is stopped
from user input (pressing the stop key) is different from clearing resume
when the playlist complets playing the last song. If it would at least
not resume when the playlist runs out, it would be a big improvement.

That was my initital post on this topic, BTW, NOT the broader issue of
clearing it when stop is pressed. I really don't care about the
later.

Certainly not the end of the world, just kind of strange the way it
behaves now.

Thanks,
Michael