Subject: RE: USB version

RE: USB version

From: moncherou <moncherou_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:02:08 -0700 (PDT)

Sparks is right, just transfer a couple of mp3's to it. I have a recorder 20, when hooked up to a usb 1.1 only computer i typically get from 0.8 to 1.0 MegaByte/per second, on a usb 2.0 computer I typically get about 7-9 Megabytes per second (depends on the computer). Usb 2.0 has a bandwidth of 480 Megabits per second, which translates to 60 Megabytes per second. at 8 megabytes per second on average, there's still a lot of room, were probably close to the sustained transfer rates of the little harddrives themselves.
Or, if you have a PC, i'm not familiar with Mac's, you can navigate to your control panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, once there you should expand the 'Universial Serial Bus Controllers' tree. If you have a USB 2.0 port, you should see a 'USB 2.0 root hub', double click on that and click on the 'power' tab up on top and it will show you what devices are connected to the port, if you see 'USB Mass Storage Device' drawing about ~100ma, then your archos is connected to the 2.0 port, if not its probably connected to the 1.1 port. This all assumes that you don't have an additional drive attached to the port.
 Sparks <sparks_at_altphuk.co.uk> wrote:> I have a Jukebox FM recorder I was wondering how do you tell what
> version of USB is connected to the Jukebox (1.1 or 2.0)

>> Unless I am wrong, the FM recorder is only 1.1 and the regular recorder
>> is the only Jukebox with 2.0, yet one more reason to get the regular
>> recorder. (USB 2.0 and replicable batteries)

Sorry, you are wrong :-P

The FM Recorder IS USB 2.0

The easiest way to tell is to transfer some files to it.

On USB1.0 you will be getting 11 megabits

On USB2 you will be gettign about 600 megabits

so a 5 megabyte file will take about 3-4 seconds
over USB2 it should take a lot less!

Sparks...