Subject: Re: RE: USB version

Re: RE: USB version

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 18:11:48 +0100 (BST)

Brad Patten said:
> Actually what I was wondering is how does the archos with rockbox know
> what speed to use? I notce that there are two different Icons, and was
> wondering how it decides whitch to display.

The speed negotiation is part of the protocol standard. I guess some kind
of negotiation takes place between the client (archos in this case) and
the server computer (similar to the dialogue when you use a modem to
connect to an ISP).

There are 2 logos - correct. One is displayed if you plug the USB in when
the archos is switched off, or when the standard archos firmware is
running. The other is displayed if Rockbox is running and you insert the
USB cable. Nothing clever about it, and it doesn't indicate anything other
than which firmware is running underneath.

--
Mike Holden