Subject: Re: CVS version doesn't boot

Re: CVS version doesn't boot

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 14:02:22 +0100 (BST)

Johan Vromans said:
> I frequently build rockbox from the CVS sources. However, for the last
> couple of days (weeks, maybe) I've been unable to boot the image built
> from the CVS sources. When using ROLO it gets to "ROLO descramble" and
> then seems to continue the already running firmware. When placed in the
> root of the disk, the Archos firmware takes over (fortunately!).
>
> I usually build without demos and games, but changing to all defaults
> (2MB recorder, english, demos + games, normal (non-debugging)
> version) doesn't make a difference.
>
> Anyone else having this problem? Anything I can do to find out what
> happens?
>
> I'm running GNU/Linux (Red Hat 7.2 + all updates, kernel 2.4.20). The
> cross compiler is built from gcc-3.2-20020903 and binutils-2.13.90.0.2.
>
> Complete configure/compile log on request.
>
> -- Johan

One thing worth looking at is that you haven't ended up with any conflict
files in your build tree. The files CVS uses to resolve conflicts are all
named .#, so the file for mpeg.c would be .#mpeg.c<version info>. If any
of these files (usually hidden because they start with (dot)) exist, the
"real" file (mpeg.c in the example) could have strange stuff in it which
will cause failures. I had a build a while ago with ata.c mangled in this
way which caused Rockbox to crash with an error on bootup.

From your top-level directory where you have your CVS tree, type:
find . -name '.#*' -ls

If there are any files like this, you have some editing/deleting and cvs
updateing again to do!

--
Mike Holden