Subject: Re: Battery patch (Was: Re: Crash)

Re: Battery patch (Was: Re: Crash)

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:45:17 +0100 (BST)

Johan Vromans said:
> "Mike Holden" <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net> writes:
>> I've uploaded another patch, which includes that fix, and I've also
>> had a quick pass at including the battery time remaining value on the
>> status line. If usb is inserted, then the status line only includes
>> battery icon, charger inserted icon, runtime (in the form %2dh%02dm so
>> 8h05m for example) and clock.
>>
>> http://www.mikeholden.org/~rockbox/patches/battery.diff
>
> The patch blends smoothly in a up-to-minute copy of the CVS tree.
> Builds and boots without problems.
>
> Good work! Whether it's in 2.0 or not, it will be in _my_ 2.0 version!
>
> Interesting to see how the estimated run time drops from 10h20 to 2h40
> when the USB plug is inserted. When I start reading continuously from
> the disc it quicky drops and then stabilizes at 0h48m when it starts
> charging. After 15 minutes or so it considers itself charged and jumps
> to 3h00. It stays at 3h00 until the copy completes (some 16Gb in 30
> minutes). Battery state upon completion: top-off. Did it keep up with
> the charger this time? After a reboot and a few minutes to let
> everything settle, the battery reads only 20%...

Yes there's definitely something screwy going on with the values returned.
I did a long USB upload session last night, and left it running overnight,
with USB and power connected. The runtime in the morning was showing as 2
hours and a bit, and the "battery charging" icon was still animated. On
removing the USB however, the battery status immediately jumped to 100%
and the runtime changed to 10 hours plus. I need to look at this further
before considering this a final version. In may be that the battery thread
gets disabled during USB connection or something, and hence the values
never get updated.

I will look at this further hopefully tonight.

> -- Johan
>
> PS: I'd expected to see the 'connected' (plug) icon flashing when
> charging (and the battery indicating the charge level) but I could be
> mistaken with another feature patch.

My patch doesn't include that stuff. It only sorts out the "while
charging" display for FM, and puts the runtime in the status bar during
USB plugged. That patch is also the subject of this thread, but isn't
(yet) included in my patch.
--
Mike Holden