Subject: Re: Re[2]: Battery patch (Was: Re: Crash)

Re: Re[2]: Battery patch (Was: Re: Crash)

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:49:18 +0100 (BST)

Uwe Freese said:
> Hello Mike,
>
> Mike Holden wrote on Monday, April 14, 2003, 9:45:17 AM:
>
> MH> Yes there's definitely something screwy going on with the values
> returned.
>
> Please make sure to distinguish between the read voltage (shown in one
> of the debug screens) and the percentage/remaining time (that's
> calculated out of the values stored in an array). It's important not to
> "fix" the percentage/ramining time calculations if reading the
> voltages doesn't work correctly on the FM recorder.

I had no plans to do this - give me some credit!

On further investigation, the runtime displayed is correct! The reason is
that the runtime is a function of the battery percentage and the estimated
current drain. In "normal" mode, this value is 145mA, but in "USB" mode,
this rises to 500mA. These values are hardcoded in CURRENT_NORMAL and
CURRENT_USB, and explains the approx 4x difference in runtimes displayed.
This is not an FM issue, because the same values are used across the range
of archos units.

I have no plans to change these values, as I assume Uwe knew what he was
doing when he coded these values :-)

I will attempt to extend my patch by including numeric battery percent and
flashing "charger connected" icon. I can refer to Dirk's patch for hints,
even though it doesn't currently install, since there's no point
reinventing the wheel, and I should be able to easily figure out the
changes he made to implement these items.
--
Mike Holden