Subject: Re: For Comment and Trial: "Alternating WPS Lines" Proposed WPS extension

Re: For Comment and Trial: "Alternating WPS Lines" Proposed WPS extension

From: Kjell Ericson <Kjell.Ericson_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:26:09 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, c s wrote:

I like your idea.

> 1) The ';' character is used to separate items on a
> line into sub-lines.

Is it good to have a common character lika that as a separator?

What happens if you have two %t in one statement "%t1text%t2text;%t3text"?

My question is if the %t couldn't be a good separator itself?

> 2) The "%t[0-9]" tag is used to specify a time 0-9 (seconds) for the
> sub-line to be displayed before the next sub-line is displayed. (example:
> %t3)

Will we be satisfied with only 0 to 9 seconds as a resolution? I think we
gain more if we use millisecond resolution and from 0 to 99 instead.

Maybe "%t15" will make it delay 1.5 seconds?
If you must have number after the %tx then you write "%t05" (for 0.5 seconds
delay).

Having "%t" as a separator will also prevent the user from having a subline
without a %t (and no need for default delay on those sublines).

> Example wps sub-line specifications:
> %s%t5%ia - %it;%t1%fb;%t2%pc %pr

It can be a bit messy to read it...

Have you thought of a syntax like:

  %t5{%s%ia - %it} %t1{%fb} %t2{%pc %pr}

I.e. the %t takes the content within the brackets and also eats any trailing
space.

> I need someone to test it on a Recorder as I only have a Player for testing.

Try it on the simulator first.

  // Kjell