Subject: Re: For Comment and Trial: "Alternating WPS Lines" Proposed WPS extension

Re: For Comment and Trial: "Alternating WPS Lines" Proposed WPS extension

From: Kjell Ericson <Kjell.Ericson_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 18:21:34 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, c s wrote:

> I chose ';' for several reasons including:
>
> If there is more than one %t in a sub-line, the last %t tag is used.
>
> That would break conditionals where you CAN have more than one %t in one
> subline.

I agree on all points, although I'm a bit sceptic about using "normal"
characters like ';' as a syntax specifier (even they are rearly used).

> The base time that the %t multiplies can be any time (within some limits)
> from a fraction of a second to many seconds.

I would recomend to expand at to 1/10 of seconds right away. Otherwise you
will soon start to be backward-compatible to something no one really wants.

> I agree, that format is much easier to read but it would require more
> extensive and complex parser logic.

It is a good idea to make it logic for the user right away. It is much more
work, but very often is it more extendable. If you always try to think how you
would like to have something if you were a user then it really gets better.

Maybe I will have to construct some kind of parameter like '%{...}' that can
make wps-lines more readable...

> The current wps parser is by design very simple and small, at the expense of
> requiring wps specification syntax that sometimes looks somewhat cryptic
> and/or difficult to read (even before my sub-line additions).

Yep, I totally agree. So if you don't make it user-friendly then you are
joining the group :-)

  // Kjell