Subject: Re: Possible recorded file bug?

Re: Possible recorded file bug?

From: Jos Laake <joslaake_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 04:44:13 -0700

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:

> It was a Xing header issue. I have committed a fix for this. My first
> version of the Xing header generator didn't set the MPEG version and
> sample rate correctlty in the Xing header, and it seems like Media
> Player reads the sample rate from the Xing header (something I think is
> quite naive, but anyway).
>
> You should be able to repair your already recorded files by running
> "Update VBR file" on them. Do make a copy of them first, in case I have
> introduced another undocumented feature...

Cool! It worked! And it repaired my already recorded
files, too!

> Regarding MP3Ext, maybe it doesn't like that I generate a completely
> empty ID3V2 tag...?

Maybe. Your newest latest now-working version still doesn't
show up as having any tags. Shouldn't all of this stuff:

Bitrate: 0K Time: 00:00
Mode: s Layer: -
Freq: 0 Frames: 0

...shouldn't this stuff be something other than blank?
I mean, even if we don't know the artist, song name and
album info and all that jive, all of these particular
factors should be known at file-save time. Shouldn't
they be filled in properly when the file is saved?
Does the bug report I filed [723991] cover this issue
as well?

Anyway, thanks a lot, Linus, for fixing this so quickly.
It really helps me a lot! I'm looking forward to getting
into the code myself a bit. I definitely have an alternate
recording function I'd like to implement. I want to set
up an "always-on sampler" that lets me record something
that "just happened" like the Archos FM Recorder firmware
does for 'pre-saving' songs off the radio. Soon...

Thanks again!
RockBox ROCKS!
~Jos~