Subject: Re: Does RockBox Support ID3v1.2 tags?

Re: Does RockBox Support ID3v1.2 tags?

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 01:56:53 +0200

Brent Geery wrote:
> Because some people use them? What other reason would be needed. :)
> Seriously, don't you think it would be cool to be the one hardware
> device that support them? Just another reason for someone to join
> our community, vs choosing another device.

It would be easy to implement, I just don't see the need for it, since
ID3V2 works.

> I don't really hate them, I just don't think their design is all that
> brilliant. The standard seems to be so poorly written, that much
> software/hardware implements the standard incorrectly, leading to
> incompatibilities in software and hardware players.

I agree that they could have thought some things through a little more.
But the 1.2 "standard" doesn't solve half of the problems that ID3V2
targets. Think Unicode, for example.

> ID3v1.x are more appropriate to the uses of most users, and much less
> problem-pron. Not a big deal when using a player like the rockbox,
> but as a general rule, I like my MP3s to be as universal playable as
> possible.

Then don't use the 1.2 "standard", since very few players will be able
to read those tags.

/Linus