Subject: RE : Size/quality of the different model screens

RE : Size/quality of the different model screens

From: SeeSchloß <SeeSchloss_at_9online.fr>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 00:03:04 +0200

Hi,

> Do all of the Archos models have the same screen
> dimensions? I know the character/font sizes vary.

I think there are only two different screens : the FM Recorder and de
Recorder 20 have the same ones.

> Which model do you think has the best screen? Studio
> 20, Recorder 20, or FM Recorder 20.

I prefer the FM Recorder one (and I also prefer the FM recorder design
although the back is very fragile : it scratches very quickly and
easily).

> I own a Studio 20 which only has 2 lines of text
> viewable. I like the size of the font, nice and large,
> I can read it at a quick glance.

I had a Studio 20 before my Recorder. The font are large, but some
characters are not displayed, if I recall correctly, at least « ç, à, è,
é, ß » are not or badly displayed. Also the scrolling is not very smooth
as only full characters can be displayed.

> It looks like the other models might have a 7 line
> text display. Has anyone found these 7 lines hard to
> read? Too small? Can you make them bigger and reduce
> to 6 lines? Thought I read somewhere the newer models
> have pixel based displays, so maybe anything is
> possible.

As they have pixel based displays, you can display from 9 lines without
the status bar with the smallest font to 3 lines of huge characters (I
usually use a medium font, 7 characters + status bar and it is easily
readable)

> Basically I only know what a Studio 20 looks and feels
> like, but I'd like to upgrade so I could get more
> lines viewable and better function buttons instead of
> the round rocker. But I don't want to waste money on
> an upgrade if the newer model displays aren't the same
> or better.

The newer displays are really better, but I don't know if it's worth to
buy another unit only for the display (but there are many usefull
functions in the recorder and FM recorder that don't exist in the
player, like... hem... games ?)

SeeSchloß

"When the rich make war it's the poor that die." - Jean-Paul Sartre

http://gpu.sf.net/