Subject: Length of Players' strings in language files

Length of Players' strings in language files

From: Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:04:14 +0200

 Eric wrote
> BTW I think that some of the translated strings (french for
> example) are not done for the player small screen :
> I remember that in the code some of the strings were
> 'ifdef-ed' but what if the translator doesn't care about
> the screen size ?
> Maybe there should be 2 .lang and 2 .lng files for each language ?

I think that the main problem is that 11-character strings are really very short to make a meaningful translation in all cases. Another problem is probably that some translators do not know precisely the maximum width of Players' screens. Is 11 (eleven) correct ? Is it correct too to assume that all strings NOT containing "player" in their id are scrollable on all machines including the Players ?

Eric I will look at Players' strings more closely in my proposal for a revised new french language file but all your suggestions are certainly welcome... :-)

Firmware gurus, is scrolling ALL kinds of message lines technically impossible ?

Cheers. Jean.