Subject: Re: red light freeze

Re: red light freeze

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:28:23 +0100 (BST)

Benoit Quette said:
> Hi guys,
>
> The freeze happen to me twice yesterday.
> Different tracks.
> Both while I was stepping off the bus.
> I'm using the daily build 030422 on a FM recorder.
> Temperature was around 12oC.
>
> Has nobody manage to find out if it was really the battery + temperature
> that was causing this?
> If yes, is is due to the type of battery or due to the specific brand
> the archos are shipped with?

It may be a factor for some people, especially in colder weather. However
for me, I don't think it is. It is currently fairly warm here in Northern
England today (shirtsleeves weather - make the most of it before the rain
starts again!), and I had 3 red freezes at dinnertime today. For me, it
is, I feel, due entirely to movement of the unit, and may also be related
to the disk spinning down before a disk operation has completed
(increasing the disk spindown value seems to help).

We are still looking at this, but it is hit and miss as it is difficult to
reproduce, and cannot be done at will.

--
Mike Holden