Subject: Re: ext2fs

Re: ext2fs

From: George Michaelson <ggm_at_apnic.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 09:31:26 +1000

One reason might be host level filestore efficiency.

I put a UFS partition on the back of my ajr and can write data to it about 2x
faster than to the FAT32 partition, because NetBSD does a damn sight better at
caching/write-through to UFS than to FAT32.

And, its considerably more crashproof (based on experience on hosts)

As a device in itself, there probably wouldn't be much in it, except possibly
more efficient block/frag size tunings, and maybe, some damn fine code from the
Linux and BSD camps.

Size? not an issue. UFS is whats used in many lightweight RTOS. It was small
enough as FFS to fit in pdp-11s.

I think you may have overstated the code cost, vs the benefits a bit in FAT32s
favour.

I've probably tended the other way.

cheers
        -George

--
George Michaelson       |  APNIC
Email: ggm_at_apnic.net    |  PO Box 2131 Milton QLD 4064