Subject: Re: Unlocking the full features of the MAS chip (short version)

Re: Unlocking the full features of the MAS chip (short version)

From: William Pietri <william_at_pota.to>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 18:51:55 -0700

On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 16:01, Brent Geery wrote:

> If a user can't be bothered to read a manual, that is their problem,
> not Rockbox's.

You might benefit from reading something on product design or user
interface engineering. A good place to start is Don Norman's "The Design
of Everyday Things". Generally, when reading a manual is necessary for
using a device, it's a sign of bad UI design.

In a week or so of using Rockbox, I've been able to do almost everything
I needed to do without any need to look at the manual. I'm sure there
are features I haven't explored, but in a way that's good; all the
things I wanted were in pretty obvious places, and the features I
haven't gotten to yet haven't intruded.

As an aside to the people mapping the buttons, I will mention that using
the ON button as a switch into file mode was the one thing I had to find
in the manual. So that it's easier for novices, it might be better to
add that, at least as an alias, in a more obvious place, like off the
function keys.

William

--
William Pietri <william_at_pota.to>