Subject: Re: What function loads a .lang file?

Re: What function loads a .lang file?

From: TP Diffenbach <rockbox_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:25:16 -0400

Quoting Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>:

> TP Diffenbach wrote:
> > Load the translated config file, change your language setting
> > to english, and save a config file. Voila, a "standard" (english)
> > config file to post.
> > This is also what you'd do if you decided to remove a
> > particula[r]
> > .lang file: translate all your configs before removing it.

> Not very user friendly, is it? With this argument, you will never
> convince me that translated cfg files are good.

How often will a user remove a .lang file he has been using enough to have saved configs in? "I hereby renounce my native country and its despicable langauge! Hever able shall I speak my mother tongue!"

> > Yes, and I'd remove the hard-coding and duplication too. Which is
> > in fact what I'm working on. If the consensus is that this isn't
> > good, I'll drop it.
>
> Please do. :-)

Consensus, Linus, usually means more than one voice. :-) As much as you've contributed to Rockbox, and even as much as those contibutions rightly give you large voice, I'm still not sure you constitute a consensus. But I'll shelve the idea of translating configs for now.

> > But I really think the "average user" benefits from configs
> > translated into his native lanaguge. Why support multiple
> >langauges and then force users to translate from technical audio
>> jargon in English?

> Writing cfg files by hand is probably beyond the average user
> anyway.
> And there is a manual.

I wasn't thinking of the /writing/ of the configs. I was thinking of the user /reading/ the config. It's the one place where Joe User can see all of his settings. In fact, I'd also like to see all possible options /listed/, or given as a range, in a #remarked line ahead of each setting, e.g.:

#Repeat mode options: one of "off", "all", "one"
Repeat Mode: all

> I agree. We need to clean up the settings code.

So you don't mind I I contibnue on that? :-)

--
Archos FM needs a Rockbox!