Subject: Re: What function loads a .lang file?

Re: What function loads a .lang file?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:25:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, TP Diffenbach wrote:

> > 2. I can't interchange config files with my friends, or even post them in
> > bug
> > reports and have the developers understand them. Reading them becomes a
> > pain, and I think one of the main reasons for having them in plain ASCII
> > is to keep them readable.
>
> Load the translated config file, change your language setting to english,
> and save a config file. Voila, a "standard" (english) config file to post.

I will not love to do that just in order to even understand a simple bug
report... There's even the possibility that different Rockbox versions won't
have the same settings set and then this translation operation will fail, or
at least not produce the equivalent file in the end. Like if you take a
bleeding-edge config file in swedish and loads it with Rockbox [14 days ago
version] which doesn't have all the settings the bleeding-edge has.

> This is also what you'd do if you decided to remove a particular .lang
> file: translate all your configs before removing it.

Seems awkward.

> But I really think the "average user" benefits from configs translated into
> his native lanaguge.

Perhaps a bit. All the docs is still in english and all the forums and help
found on the internet are all english. I'd say it can also be harder, since
all the english written help texts can't be followed if the settings file is
translated.

> Why support multiple langauges and then force users to translate from
> technical audio jargon in English?

My limited experience with this says that most technical audio jargon already
is english. :-) I know, this is not a serious argument for anything.

> Even if the consensus is that translated configs isn't good -- and I think
> it is good for users, especially users who don't speak English -- getting
> rid of hardcoded and duplicated strings is just good code cleanup.

I can only agree with this. I disagree with the translated configs, but I do
agree with the urge to get rid of duplicated strings.

All this is of course my personal opinions.