Subject: Re: eager beginner, not many skills

Re: eager beginner, not many skills

From: Thomas Heuving <heuving_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 12:34:04 +0200

slevin01_at_wesleyan.edu schrieb am Thu, 1 May 2003 03:46:58 -0400 (EDT):
> b) i loaded rockbox on the jukebox before even
> glancing at the archos installation cd. is it too late
> now to install archos firmware in order to have the
> rolo option if for some reason i decide to try to
> figure it out? (is archos firmware even what is on
> that cd, or is the firmware already on the jukebox?).
> if i can still load it on there, WHERE do i unzip/load
> it? (in layperson's terms would be much appreciated :)
>
> and sorry for yet one more dumb question, but when you
> say i can just reboot my jukebox to revert back to
> rockbox after using rolo to switch to archos, you mean
> simply turning off the jbox and then turning it on
> again? it'll automatically start up using rockbox?
> thanks so much - as you can tell, i'm a total neophyte
> when it comes to these things

The archos firmware is on your jukebox in ROM. If it finds a
file with the appropriate name on the harddisk, it just loads
this file as new firmware (that's how archos manages updates).
The rockbox firmware has the added ability to load a new firmware
without booting.
So your layout should be:
  1. The rockbox firmware goes with the standard name (ajbrec.ajz on
     the recorder) in the root-directory on the disk, so it's loaded
     automatically on start.
  2. The archos firmware (which should be on the CD (?), or you can load
     it from the archos-site) is installed with another name.
     If you wanna switch, you can load the archos firmware from
     within rockbox (by PLAYing the file), to switch back to rockbox
     you have to reboot (all false decisions have their price ;-))
  3. If you want to test new features, load the daily builds onto
     your jukebox under just another name and boot them from within
     rockbox. If they satisfy you, rename them to the standard name.

Tschüß
--
Thomas Heuving