Subject: RE: Archos Battery Voltage issue? - IT'S ROCKBOX!?

RE: Archos Battery Voltage issue? - IT'S ROCKBOX!?

From: Alan C <nixed242_at_earthlink.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 00:44:27 -0400

        Ok so before I point fingers... :) and before I go out tomorrow and get the
seperate charger, I decided to do more experimenting with the unit. I had it
fully charged from this earlier evening. I charged it this time outside of
rockbox using the original firmware (figured maybe this would give me a full
charge?). I decided to recreate the problem by draining the batteries down
to 50% - I copied files on and off, played some tetris, and what not. I got
the battery down to about 52% battery power. The problem started up again.
        After some cursing at the machine, I downloaded the latest firmware for my
recorder from the archos site, used rolo, and logged into the original
Archos OS. I played an album for half and hour, and the "50% battery
problem" was gone! The Archos firmware battery power meter is about 1/3
full. In the half hour of flawless play, it skipped once (probably due to
the crappy Archos firmware.).
        After a half an hour of joy, I booted back into Rockbox. This time, the
battery counter in Rockbox said 22%. I tried to play a song, and all I got
was some hard drive clicks and a flashing 22% (meaning I have low battery
right?) and the same problem I reported earlier.
        Got the drive to stop clicking (drained a lot of battery trying to get back
into RockBox and restarting several times), used rolo again to get back into
the Archos OS, things were good for a while, but from all the prior on and
off, the battery got drained to where I couldn't play with it anymore. So,
tomorrow during work I'll give it the ultimate test to see if in fact it is
an issue of rockbox not working the batteries correctly with my model of the
Jukebox Recorder 20 - JBR20101. I'm going to charge it tonight, play it all
day tomorrow in the Archos OS, and see if I get the same problem. If I
don't, and get a full 8-10 hours out of it... we'll take it from there I
guess. I'll post the test results tomorrow evening. Otherwise, I'm shipping
it back to Archos.

Am I the only one with this problem?
-AC