Subject: Re: Auto-sync files

Re: Auto-sync files

From: Brian Wolven <Brian.Wolven_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 13:25:03 -0400

Josh wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> The iPod has a nice feature where as soon as you plug in to the
> computer, it automatically synchronizes the iPod with the PC. So for
> example if you rip or download some songs on the PC they would magically
> appear in the mp3 player next time you plugged in.
>
> This would be a very good feature for us to have! Besides syncing
> music, it could also be used to automatically backup important documents
> etc. for those like me who aren't good at remembering to do so (in other
> words you could keep C:\My Documents synchronized with a "/pc/My
> Documents" directory on the Archos).
>
> Autoplay is available for USB storage devices, but it appears to require
> both 1) removable device [yes, got it] and 2) removable media [no :(] to
> work out-of-the-box. My guess is that the USB driver could be convinced
> to enable Autoplay (by someone more knowledgable than I about Windows
> programming), and if this were true we could use that mechanism to
> launch a script to synchronize our chosen directories automatically upon
> plug-in.
>
> Anyone have comments on the merit/feasibility of this idea?

I sync different folders on my recorder to different PC's - work, home,
etc., and I don't have room for all my music on the PC at work. =) I
prefer to launch the synchronization manually, and have shortcuts in a
menu so that I can choose the appropriate folders and sync direction
myself. OTOH, I can see how some people might find this a useful feature,
so by all means keep working on the idea - just so long as it is a
*user-selectable* feature.