Subject: Re: Quiet spinup?

Re: Quiet spinup?

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 17:51:13 +0200

William Pietri wrote:
> Of course, we can't really apply power gradually, but if power were
> applied like this

> over a few seconds it might be more conducive to slumber. It would of
> course use more battery, but it would be no worse than the anti-skip
> buffer.

We don't control the spinup, we only control power to the whole disk. Toggling the power on/off like that will cause the emergency head parking and disk breaking system to activate every time we shut it off, which is bad for the disk.

On players, we don't control the power at all.

One thing I've been thinking about trying, though, is to set the acoustic and power management options available in newer drives. That might possibly result in more quiet disk access.

--
Björn