Subject: Are the "system volume information" and "recycled" folders real?

Are the "system volume information" and "recycled" folders real?

From: Aman Singer <aman_at_asinger.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 20:10:45 -0400

Hi, all.
        I'm using Windows XP pro, Rockbox 2.0, and a USB 2.0 controller
on an Archos 6000 (original player), running version 4.53 of the Archos
firmware in ROM. When I access the disk using the explorer, I see two
folders, one being called "system volume information", and one being
called "recycled". They are both on my HD as well as the Archos. I'd
like to know, first, if these folders are taking up space (they don't
seem to be), but I do wonder. Secondly, are they real folders? That is,
I didn't put them there, and don't use them. I tried deleting both,
getting an error that someone else was using the folders, despite the
fact that my system has no other user account and the drive is not
accessible over the network. Is it possible that these are simply
shortcuts that appear in the explorer while having no real existence?
        Thanks for any help, all.
Aman