Subject: Re: Are the 'system volume information' and 'recycled' folders real?

Re: Are the 'system volume information' and 'recycled' folders real?

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.uklinux.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:12:32 +0100 (BST)

Aman Singer said:
> Hi, all.
> I'm using Windows XP pro, Rockbox 2.0, and a USB 2.0 controller
> on an Archos 6000 (original player), running version 4.53 of the Archos
> firmware in ROM. When I access the disk using the explorer, I see two
> folders, one being called "system volume information", and one being
> called "recycled". They are both on my HD as well as the Archos. I'd
> like to know, first, if these folders are taking up space (they don't
> seem to be), but I do wonder. Secondly, are they real folders? That is,
> I didn't put them there, and don't use them. I tried deleting both,
> getting an error that someone else was using the folders, despite the
> fact that my system has no other user account and the drive is not
> accessible over the network. Is it possible that these are simply
> shortcuts that appear in the explorer while having no real existence?
> Thanks for any help, all.

Yes they are real, and you can thank Mr. Bill Gates for this item of
stupidity and annoyance. Windows creates these folders on every hard drive
on the system. As soon as you connect your Archos to a windows box via the
USB link, these folders are created on it. The only way to remove them is
to connect the Archos to a Linux box (or maybe a Mac - dunno about this
one) and remove them, but windoze will recreate themn again next time you
connect it up. Directory deletion may make it into Rockbox at some point,
but again they will be recreated on next connection to a windoze box.

The solution is to use a proper O/S like Linux (sorry couldn't resist that
one!). Seriously though Linux does seem to support Rockbox development
more seamlessly than any Windows development solutions.

As far as size goes, they do occupy some space on the disk, but only a
small amount (maybe a kb or two). If you use windows to delete archos
files to the recycle bin, then they will be moved to the recycled folder
on the Archos unit until you empty the recycle bin while the archjos is
still connected. Until then, the space on the unit is still used by the
file, as it has not really been deleted, just "hidden". To "really" delete
files, I think you hold down Shift when you do the delete, which doesn't
recycle the file but instead actually really deletes it - use with
caution!
--
Mike Holden
Rockbox page: http://www.mikeholden.org/~rockbox