Subject: Re: Rockbox Sound

Re: Rockbox Sound

From: Jean Boullier <jean.boullier_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 02:33:55 +0200

Andre Roessel wrote:

>At first I must say, ARCHOS at maximum is by far not as loud as Rockbox maxed out.
>So it is only natural, that there are distortions at Rockbox when playing it at a level
>ARCHOS is not even capable of.

The Archos firmware is intentionnally limiting the output volume for a
maximum acoustic power of 100 dB when used with the headset delivered
with it. This is to comply with laws protecting careless users
(especially the young ones) against premature deafness. We have such a
law in France for all portable devices used with headsets or earphones
(tape, CD, MP3...) but I would not be surprised that some other
countries have one too. On my JBR it is written on the same sticker as
the FCC compliance, on the back.

André, I have been glad to read your post : I was wondering if I was not
normal or beginning to be deaf. At 58 I have probably already started to
be less responsive to very high frequencies but globally I have no
problem in this area and I would like to see as well as I hear...

Jean.