Subject: Why long recordings are so useful - (was)Re: Re: bug: playing back long recordings

Why long recordings are so useful - (was)Re: Re: bug: playing back long recordings

From: Martin Borus <martin_at_borus.de>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 08:59:14 +0200

rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se schrieb am 19.05.03 00:17:16:

> >The files are from 300 MB to almost 2 gigabytes big.
>
> I can't imagine trying to work with files that big.

Here's two examples from real life:

1. You are at a concert and record the whole event. In fact your start the
recording way before the concert not to miss the beginning and leave it
running all the time until the end. This might give you a 300 MB file and you probably
want to forward to check on the results right after the end.

2. You hate your local radio stations so to avoid it you connect your jukebox to cable
or satellite radio and press record when you come back from work. The next morning you
press stop and have a 500 MB file. Now you unplug the jukebox, put it into the car and
play your favorite station. You can skip any song, newsbreak or commercial you don't like.
And if they play something really good (like a surprise live set) you can cut it out of the big
file before you delete the rest.

#2 is something I do every week and the main reason why I enjoy Rockbox
so much: It records full days without crashing and has a user defined fast
forwarding speed that is flexible enough to reach any point in a gigabyte file within
a reasonable amount of time.

Martin
Mit der Grupppen-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail können Sie eine SMS an alle