Subject: Long Recordings

Long Recordings

From: ajf <ajf_at_midmaine.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:55:47 -0400

Yes it is "cool" to be able to record for as long as you want, but it does
NOT follow that the recording has to be in one looooong file. As several
the GB range, not to mention the risk of losing the entire thing if
something goes wrong. To expect flawless handling of monster files from a
freeware is, shall we say, optimistic.

A better solution would be a "tracking" feature, which automagically starts
a new file at a pre-determined interval, or perhaps after detecting n
seconds of silence after a pre-determined track length has been reached.
This capability is available in a PC application called Audiotools, and with
it I am able to record unattended for 12 hours (or more) and get 15 - 20
files named sequentially, each of approx 45 minute length. I can fix the
headers and apply tags to these files in a matter of minutes, and copy the
whole thing to a directory on the JBR for playback.

Audiotools also has a "timed record" feature that will stop the recording so
that I don't get hours of silence at the end. NO I can't take Audiotools to
a concert to make a bootleg recording, but in that case, I am willing to
actually monitor my JBR with Rockbox, end a file at each intermission, and
shut it off at the end of the concert.

It would be nice if Rockbox had a tracking feature like this, but I can't
honestly say that I think this is the most important thing for the
developers to work on.