Subject: Re: Length of Players' strings in language files

Re: Length of Players' strings in language files

From: Kjell Ericson <Kjell.Ericson_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:28:30 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Remo Hofer wrote:

> A special player language doesn't help, if there's no short translation
> available in a specific language. The text should scroll, even if the
> original text was short enough to fit into 11 chars.

Do you have a player? (just curious what "side" you're on :-)

If every text shall scroll like you say then we must forbid that a text is
removed before the user has been able to read it all (unless a key is
pressed).

Without an easy possibility to have specific player texts we will end up with:
* An ifdef in code for every place where one language would need an
abreviation.
 or
* We player owner starts to make abrevations where non-player owners don't
really need it.

I don't think a translator should be forced to modify the code, and the coder
shouldn't need to think if any possible language would need to have a player
specific text.
...and I don't like the all-line-scrolling idea.

> Actually since we have multi line scrolling available, I don't see any
> reason why a text in a line orientated screen should not potentially
> scroll (if it doesn't fit the line).

It looks like hell actually. I made a test some months ago and let the credit
lines scroll if needed. It was hard to read the names. Sometimes both lines
scrolled, and sometimes only one line scrolled, and sometimes the lines
scrolled in different directions... It was better to only see the first line.

You can make an easy test in credits.c and make a lcd_puts_scroll() instead of
a lcd_puts().

I think my solution is a help for player owners without changing the look for
recorder owner. It will also separate the translations from the source code.

  // Kjell