Subject: Re: Upgrade Recorder FM's HDD?

Re: Upgrade Recorder FM's HDD?

From: Bengt Ritover <bengtritover_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 15:50:38 +0000

I replaced the HD on mine relatively easily, but then I was originally an
Electronic Engineer (in the days when I earned an honest living). I undid
the bumpers, removed the two end-plates (battery and the 'other one'),
carefully bent the end of the case out, prised out the HD, inserted the new
one (fiddly) after swapping the clear plastic film from the old to the new,
carefully bent the cover back, put it back together and it worked! Took me
about half an hour.

The tricky bits were removing the bumpers and inserting the new disk - there
is not much clearance at the connector end. If you are reasonably dexterous
then you should manage it ok. Bear in mind that your Archos warranty goes
out the window once you remove the bumpers, but then judging from comments
on other forums it may not be much of a loss.

There is an alternative method involving unsoldering the various assemblies
which removes the need to bend the case, but it is very tricky, risky and in
my view unnecessary (if you bend the case carefully).

Hope this helps!