Subject: Re: Length of Players' strings in language files

Re: Length of Players' strings in language files

From: Kjell Ericson <Kjell.Ericson_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:40:03 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Remo Hofer wrote:

> Are there any messages which don't wait for user input except the boot
> screen (which should of cource not scroll) and the wps

Yes, the newly implemented LANG_SHOWDIR_ERROR_BUFFER in tree.c. It is a two
line notice that is shown for 1/2 second.
The english text is within the 11 chars limit, but not the swedish text (that
how I noticed it).

This could of course be fixed in the code, but we will sureley have the same
problem again and again and again. Since most coders are recorder owner (just
a guess) we player loosers will always fix those "errors" and
too-long-text-things. Changing the language file seems to be simplier than
always patch the code.

> Yes the credit screen is a mess on the player. It would probably be
> better, if it was just one long scrolling line with all the names,

I thought of that too, but felt that my name already was too far down in order
to prioritze that part :-)
The credit screen should also be browsable. Unless your name is among the
first you will never be able to show your friend that you are on the list...
"wait, wait, wait, there! Did you see my name? Not? I'll start it over again,
it only takes 30 seconds for my name to be shown for half a second..." :-)

> My point was, that there are some places where the text doesn't scroll
> for no good reason.

True, your point!
Feel free to correct them. You have my blessing.

> But probably we need short versions of some string anyway and your
> proposal of player specific language files should be implemented also.

It's a draw, 1-1 :-)

Seems we agree all over.

  // Kjell