Subject: Announce: id3v2 patch 706111 updated

Announce: id3v2 patch 706111 updated

From: TP Diffenbach <rockbox_at_diffenbach.org>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 03:04:02 -0400

I've updated patch 706111 with diffs to cvs 2003-05-22, and corrected the diffs to not include unchanged portions of the files diffed.

Patch 706111 adds freeform genre, freeform year, freeform track number, and composer to the Id3v2 information.

In the While Playing Screen configuration file,
%g shows freeform genre if it exists, else it shows the picklist genre
%y shows the freeform year if it exits, else it shows the numeric year
%r shows he freeform track number
%c shows the composer
%n -- as in the current code -- still shows the track number as a single number

A freeform genre is any string (except those that begin with "("; use "((" to escape a literal open parenthesis). Many Id3v2 tag editors support this, so you can use genres not represented in the Id3v1 specification plus winamp additions genre list.

However, following the existing Rockbox code, the patch does NOT attempt to completely follow the Id3v2 specification that picklist genres may interspersed with arbitrary text, e.g. "(1) that sound like (2) with some (3)" will NOT be displayed as "Blues that sound like Classic Rock with some Country". This would just display as "Blues". If anybody actually uses this interspersed format, please let me know.

Patch 706111 also allows you to add your own Id3v2 tags with minimal coding; please see the comment in id3.c for exact instructions. Basically, you add an element to an array in id3.c, and a case to a switch statement wps-display.c.

I'd much appreciate knowing if this patch can be added to the official build, if you personally use or may use this patch, or any other feedback.

--Tom

--
Archos FM has a Rockbox!