Subject: Continuous playback

Continuous playback

From: Tim Elliott <telliott_at_sigecom.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 19:12:51 -0500

In the '"Long time recording" thread, it was stated that the JBR could
record multiple tracks without missing a frame between tracks. This is
great but I have a question about the reverse situation.

What is standing in the way of getting Rockbox to play multiple tracks
as a continuous stream of frames? I know this has been discussed
before. Rockbox allows almost gapless playback now, but when playing
back a live album, I still hear a short dropout between tracks, which is
distracting.

Since the data is usually played from memory during song transitions,
what's standing in the way of allowing songs to flow together? Does it
have something to do with the mp3 file structure? I've heard that OGG
is designed to be gapless.

Thanks,
Tim